Carnegie Mellon University offers many services to its students and campus community. Click on a tab to view more information.

Academic Advising

Carnegie Mellon recognizes the vital role of academic advising in undergraduate education. The university assigns an academic advisor to each student, and makes certain that all advisors have clear, timely, and accurate information concerning programs, policies, procedures, and resources. In addition to having assigned academic advisors, students often develop relationships with faculty and staff members who serve as academic mentors.

Institutional Statement on Advising

Academic advising is integral to the educational mission of Carnegie Mellon. Advising is an intentional process, grounded in teaching and learning, and provides each student with guidance for developing and achieving meaningful educational, professional, and personal goals. Successful advising at Carnegie Mellon depends upon a shared understanding of, and commitment to, the advising process, by students, advisors, and the university. Academic advisors engage students in learning, promote students' academic success, and foster students' personal, ethical, and intellectual growth, all of which will carry into their roles as citizens and lifelong learners.

The Student's Role in Academic Advising

Seeking advice is an important part of how students begin to make decisions about their academic and professional futures. Each major and department has an advising system which may be different from one another. It is important that students find out early from their first year advisor how the advising system for all their four years at Carnegie Mellon works.

Students are responsible for: understanding the importance of their relationships with advisors; seeking out advisors, contacts, and information on a regular basis; knowing the requirements of their individual degree programs; and taking final responsibility for making their own decisions based on the best information and advice available. The Carnegie Mellon Advising Resource Center (CMARC) is an additional place for students to obtain information and general advice.

The Advisor's Role

To achieve the goals of academic advising at Carnegie Mellon, advisors, along with their advising programs, are responsible for: being knowledgeable of, and communicating, the requirements of the academic programs in which they advise; monitoring students' progress towards degree completion; being available to meet with students on a regular basis; assisting students in finding the appropriate institutional and community resources; involving students in the academic and career planning process and the exploration of options and resources; and engaging in developmental activities to stay informed of issues that impact student success.

Assistance for Individuals with Disabilities 

Equal Opportunity Services
Whitfield Hall, 143 N. Craig Street, Pittsburgh PA 15213
Everett Tademy, Director 412-268-2012,
Larry Powell, EOS Manager 412-268-2013,
Courtney Bryant, EOS Administrative Coordinator 412-268-2012,

Qualified individuals with disabilities are entitled to reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA regulations). Accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis. Equal Opportunity Services provide links between individuals with disabilities and the campus community. Information released will provide documentation of a disability for faculty, staff, students and prospective students of Carnegie Mellon University. All information will be considered confidential and only released to appropriate personnel on a need to know basis. To access services, individuals must initiate a request in writing for specific services/accommodations (books on tape, enlargements, interpreters, etc.). Accommodations prescribed only apply to Carnegie Mellon University and may not be valid elsewhere. The individual takes full responsibility for ongoing assistance.

In order to receive services/accommodations verification of a disability according to Carnegie Mellon guidelines is required.

To establish that an individual is covered under the ADA, the documentation must indicate that the disability substantially limits some major life activity, including learning. The documentation requirements are provided in the interest of assuring that a disability demonstrates an impact on a major life activity, is appropriate to verify eligibility, assures the implementation of appropriate accommodations, and supports the request for accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids.

For more information on disability resources and documentation guidelines please contact Larry Powell, EOS Manager (412) 268-2013 or or visit our website.

Carnegie Mellon Resource Advising Center (CMARC)

Ty Walton, Director
Cyert Hall A64, 412-268-2150

The Carnegie Mellon Advising Resource Center (CMARC) is an advising and information center that assists students and connects them to appropriate communities, services and opportunities by providing academic planning and one-on-one counsel. Founded as the Carnegie Mellon Action Project (CMAP), CMARC has an additional commitment to support underrepresented ethnic minority students in a setting where students' differences and talents are guided, appreciated, and reinforced.

Academic Advising

CMARC, working in cooperation with faculty and departmental advisors, strives to promote academic success. The professional program advisors serve as an additional resource when it is necessary to consult with more than one person or to obtain another perspective. Their primary objective is to assist students in developing and achieving meaningful educational plans that are compatible with their life goals. CMARC advisors can help students:

  • Establish short and long term academic goals.
  • Investigate alternative majors in other colleges.
  • Obtain referrals to organizations such as Career Services, Academic Development, etc.
  • Explore career and graduate school options.

Computing Services

David Baisley, Interim Chief Information Officer, Computing Services
Cyert Hall 285, 412-268-4357

Computing on Campus

Computing Services maintains and supports computing resources for the campus community, including the campus wired and wireless networks, public printing, computer labs, email, and software licensing.

Visit the Computing Services web site to explore the services available to you, including how to:

  • get started with computing at Carnegie Mellon
  • connect your computer or mobile/gaming devices to the network
  • access software
  • manage your email
  • use public printers and computer labs.

For help, contact the Computing Services Help Center at 412-268-4357 (HELP) or


Division of Student Affairs

Gina Casalegno, Dean of Student Affairs
Warner Hall 301

As much of undergraduate education focuses on preparation for professional careers, the university is strongly convinced that the total development of the student is critical to preparation for professional practice. A great deal of time and effort by the Division of Student Affairs, faculty and the university staff focuses on providing students with the opportunities to expand experiences outside the classroom, to encounter new intellectual and social experiences, to undertake projects for personal growth, and to prepare for life.

Our vision and mission for the student experience is founded upon the intellectual, occupational, emotional, spiritual, physical, and cultural growth and nurturing of students. The Division of Student Affairs, and our partners throughout the university, are here to support you in reaching your highest potential in the areas of artistic and intellectual curiosity, personal well being, professional competency, leadership development, and engagement in and contribution to the larger community.

Staff members throughout the division are here to support and foster your intellectual and personal growth and help you explore and experience the different aspects of college life. We care about you, your studies, your social growth, your well-being and your future and want to help you enjoy a great Carnegie Mellon experience. Offices within the Division of Student Affairs include:

  • Office of the Dean of Student Affairs    
  • Career Center    
  • Counseling and Psychological Services    
  • Health Services    
  • Office of International Education    
  • Office of Orientation and First Year Programs    
  • Office of Student Activities    
  • Student Development Office    
  • Student Life Office

Office of the Dean of Student Affairs

Gina Casalegno, Dean of Student Affairs
Warner Hall 301, 412-268-2075,

The Office of the Dean provides central guidance and direction of student services at Carnegie Mellon. The dean is responsible for leading the Division of Student Affairs in providing students with quality services, programs, and experiences that support and complement the academic mission of the university.

While students are encouraged to seek out any member of the division for assistance, you may also meet with the dean of student affairs directly by calling 412-268-2075 and scheduling an appointment at your convenience.

Career and Professional Development Center

Kevin Monahan, Associate Dean for Career and Professional Development
University Center Lower Level, 412-268-2064

Career exploration and planning

Whether you are interested in exploring post graduation options, or are clear on the direction you plan to pursue, the Career and Professional Development Center offers a complete range of resources. Students wishing to explore how majors and minors relate to career choice, as well as gain information about particular fields, will work with a career consultant to examine their skills, interests, and values and how they relate to various career fields. Career consultants also coach students in writing resumes and cover letters, networking, locating internship and job opportunities, preparing for interviews, and pursuing graduate school opportunities. Career consultants are assigned to each college and provide individualized support, general career programming, and college-specific workshops. In addition to the workshops presented by the Career and Professional Development Center staff, consultants coordinate an annual professional development series presented by prominent alumni and recruiters in various industries and fields. Finally, the Center's library and web page provide extensive resources on job search strategies, internships, summer opportunities and other career-related interests.

Job search

Several thousand summer internships and professional full-time job opportunities are made available to Carnegie Mellon students through Handshake, our on-line job listing resource. Students can access Handshake through the Center's homepage. Handshake also provides information on the hundreds of employers that visit our campus each year. These organizations interview students for internships and professional employment as well as hold informational sessions in the evenings that are open to the entire campus. Average starting salaries offered to Carnegie Mellon graduates, in most fields, consistently rank above the national norms.

Student employment/Campus jobs

The Student Employment program promotes experiential learning and professional development. All campus job postings include learning objectives that help employers and students recognize and understand the professional and personal opportunities for growth presented by each position. The Student Employment website includes an on-line training and orientation program on topics ranging from business etiquette to the essentials of getting paid on time.

Student employment opportunities are posted on-line through Handshake and include federal, state, and community service work-study jobs as well as non-work-study jobs. While having a work-study award does not guarantee a job, searching for and applying to opportunities are easily navigated through Handshake.

Counseling and Psychological Services

Morewood Gardens E-Tower, 412-268-2922,

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at Carnegie Mellon offers students the opportunity to talk about personal or academic concerns in a safe, confidential setting. Students come to CAPS for many reasons, including but not limited to problems with family, friends, or school; concerns about the future; and feelings of stress, low self-esteem, anxiety, depression, or loneliness.

We're here to talk with students about issues that are significant for them. We also offer consultation to staff, faculty, and parents who have concerns about a student's well-being. Any discussion regarding a client of the center necessitates a written consent by the student permitting us to release information, including whether the student has been seen at CAPS.

Counseling Center services are provided at no cost. There are, however, limits on the number of sessions that we are able to provide. Follow-up psychiatric services and off-campus referrals for longer term therapy are at the client's expense. The Counseling and Psychological Services office is open weekdays, and there is a professional on call for emergencies during evenings and on weekends.

Health Services

Anita Barkin, Director
Morewood Gardens E-Tower, 412-268-2157

Student Health Services is staffed by physicians, advanced practice clinicians and registered nurses who provide general medical care, allergy injections, first aid, gynecological care and contraception as well as on-site pharmaceuticals. Examinations by Health Services staff for illness/injury are free of charge; however, fees for prescription medications, laboratory tests, diagnostic procedures and referral to the emergency room or specialists are the student's responsibility. Health Services also has a registered dietician and health educator on staff to assist students in addressing nutrition, drug and alcohol and other healthy lifestyle issues.

Patients are seen by appointment. Walk-in urgent care is provided. Appointments can be made by calling the office. If you have a medical problem or accident that requires immediate attention at night or on the weekend, you should contact University Police at 412-268-2323 for transportation to the emergency room. If you have an urgent problem and would like to speak with the physician on-call, you can do so by calling the Health Services number.

Health Insurance

In addition to providing direct health care, Health Services administers the Student Health Insurance Program. The Student Health insurance plan offers a high level of coverage in a wide network of health care providers and hospitals. It also covers most of the fees for care at Student Health Services. All full-time students are required to carry health insurance and will be assessed a charge for the individual basic mandatory plan offered through the university student health insurance program. The charge will appear on the invoice of the first semester of attendance in the academic cycle. The student is required to take one of the following three actions: (1) enroll in the basic plan as charged; (2) upgrade the benefit plan by enrolling in the enhanced student health insurance options during the open enrollment period; (3) apply for a waiver from the mandatory plan. Questions can be addressed to

Office of International Education

Linda Gentile, Director
Warner Hall, Third Floor, 412-268-5231

The Office of International Education (OIE) is committed to supporting, promoting, and celebrating individuals in an intercultural environment. We advocate for and facilitate international and cross cultural experiences, perspectives, and initiatives. OIE is the primary contact for study abroad programs and non-immigrant matters for all students and scholars (foreign professors and researchers) who are not United States citizens or permanent residents. OIE encourages both U.S. and international students to participate in international programs and events on campus, and we also welcome volunteers to participate and assist with programs sponsored by the office.

Foreign Students and Scholars

Carnegie Mellon hosts 2800 international students and 600 international scholars who come from more than 90 countries. International students make up 47% of the full-time graduate student body and 11% of our full-time undergraduates. OIE is the liaison to the university for all non-immigrant students and scholars. The foreign student and scholar advisors provide many services including: advising on immigration, academic, social and acculturation issues; presenting programs of interest such as international career workshops, tax workshops, and cross-cultural and immigration workshops; supporting international and cultural student groups such as the International Student Union and the International Spouses and Partners Organization; maintaining a foreign student resource library that includes information on cultural adjustment, international education and statistics on foreign students in the United States; posting pertinent information to students through email and our website, and conducting orientation programs.

Study Abroad

Carnegie Mellon students in every major can spend a summer, semester, or year abroad. Over 400 students go to all corners of the globe each year and receive credit for pre-approved study abroad. There is a wide range of funding options. The study abroad office assists students in all stages of the process of going abroad. The advisors promote study abroad, advise students, work with the academic departments and conduct information sessions, pre-departure orientations and welcome back workshops. For more detailed information about Carnegie Mellon's study abroad program, see the Undergraduate Options section of this catalog.

Office of Orientation and First Year Programs

Anne R. Witchner, Assistant Dean of Student Affairs
Morewood Gardens 1B8, 412-268-4887

The Office of Orientation and First Year Programs is responsible for providing vision and leadership for a comprehensive approach to new student orientation and transition programs. The office provides programs, opportunities and services to help students and family members successfully transition to the Carnegie Mellon community.

The office is responsible for program development, marketing and implementation of orientation and transition programs. Areas of concentration include: new student orientation, Family Weekend and special event planning.

Office of Student Activities

Elizabeth Vaughan, Director
University Center 103, 412-268-8704

The Office of Student Activities complements students’ academic experiences by providing services and resources that engage students in creating campus culture through social, cultural, intellectual, spiritual, athletic, recreational, artistic, political, and service opportunities. Our staff is committed to delivering quality advising, resource materials, leadership development opportunities, and administrative support services to impact students’ growth and development and enhance the success of each student organization.

Our office partners with students to create a vibrant culture of student life on the Carnegie Mellon campus. Our community is home to nearly 250 recognized student organizations that are supported by the Student Activities staff team. In addition to serving as individual advisors to many organizations and providing resources, support, and ad hoc advising to all student organizations, our office also coordinates a slate of opportunities to help Carnegie Mellon students get involved in campus life.

To learn more about getting involved on campus, please visit our website where you can find information about recognized student organizations and about upcoming events on campus. If you are interested in forming a new organization, visit our office to learn more about how to get started. We look forward to helping you make your mark on the campus experience at Carnegie Mellon.

Student Life Office

John Hannon, Associate Dean of Student Affairs
Morewood Gardens A-Tower, 412-268-2142

The Student Life Office provides opportunities that emphasize community engagement, leadership and social responsibility while actively supporting the personal and professional development of students. To this end, we coordinate residence life for first-year, upperclass and Greek students through our house model.  Our professional staff, called Housefellows, advance a broad-based vision for student development by utilizing the residential house community as a focal point for the student experience on campus. The Housefellow's role involves serving as students' primary metacurricular advocate at the university while enhancing their social, academic, intellectual, artistic and personal development. Students lead the development and implementation of a vibrant, engaging experience in these houses through their work as Resident Assistants, Community Advisors or house council members, all of whom are advised by the Housefellow.

Additionally, the Student Life Office coordinates a number of developmental programs, initiatives and services for the broader campus community.  We coordinate educational initiatives and accountability processes related to community standards;  provide resources and facilitate programs related to gender and gay/lesbian/bisexual identity including GenderTalk and OUTSpoken, the MOSAIC conference, SafeZone training and Pride Month events;  advise student safety initiatives such as Sexual Assault Advisors, 1 in 4, and Safewalk;  advise and support the twenty-four social, Greek-letter organizations and associated governing bodies that comprise the fraternity and sorority community; offer leadership programs such as the First-Year Leader Retreat and Emerging Leaders;  coordinate spirituality and meaning-making programs such as the Big Questions series; and advise the Student Dormitory Council.

Housing and Dining Services

Morewood E-Tower, 412-268-2139

Housing and Dining Services provides a variety of accommodations for Carnegie Mellon students. Living arrangements include traditional single-gender residence halls, coeducational residence halls, suites, apartments, houses and Greek living areas. All first year students, 17 years of age or older, are required to reside in University housing. The Dean of Student Affairs must approve first-year students who wish to be exempt from this requirement and would like to commute from home. Students who will not be 17 before the start of their first semester are asked to contact the Dean of Student Affairs. . Transfer student housing is subject to availability and therefore, transfer students are also asked to contact Housing and Dining Services.

University housing is available on campus and in our Oakland Community Apartments. All on-campus residential areas are located in close proximity to academic buildings. The Oakland Community Apartments are located very near the campus and are an approximate 5-10 minute walk to campus. The university's shuttle bus services these areas on a regularly scheduled basis.

Furnishings and Amenities

Housing and Dining Services provides each resident with a bed, a desk and chair, a bookshelf, a dresser and a closet or wardrobe. Each room is also equipped with window coverings and cable TV, and all of our buildings have Ethernet or broadband service for fast data connectivity. Items such as pillows, linens, area rugs, cellular telephones (if desired), etc., are the student's responsibility. Oakland Community apartments have a broadband service modem with one outlet per apartment. Residents are responsible for any routers or switches needed to connect multiple computers to the modem.

Room Rates

Room rates include utilities, maintenance, a cable TV jack and Ethernet/broadband connection in each room, apartment, or house. Students pay separately for room and public area damages. Long distance phone access can be obtained by use of personal cell phones or calling cards purchased by the student and used at the courtesy phones.

Room Types

Residence hall rooms, apartments and houses are available through Housing and Dining Services and are priced according to these broad categories:

Residence hall rooms
  • Grouped and priced by occupancy (# of students per room by design) and a classification (standard, prime, suite)
  • Singles, doubles, triples, and quads are available
  • No in-room cooking facilities
  • Classification is primarily based on bathroom privacy, although other criteria may also be involved
  • Standard rooms share a large, central bathroom facility
  • Prime rooms generally share a private or semi-private bathroom with no more than five students
  • Suite-style rooms share a semi-private bathroom, as well as a common living area
  • Efficiency, one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments are available
  • Grouped and priced by occupancy, location, and number of bedrooms
  • In-room cooking facilities
  • Grouped and priced by occupancy and location
  • Includes bedrooms, a kitchen, a dining room, a living room, private bath and laundry facilities

Housing Reservations

Returning Student Room Selection

Each spring returning resident students will have an opportunity to reserve spaces in university housing through the Room Selection process that takes place in February and March. Returning students most often select apartments and residence hall rooms that offer more flexibility and privacy, features typically created by a kitchen and/or semi-private bathroom facilities.

First-Year Student Room Assignments

Most first-year students are assigned to traditional residence hall rooms where each floor shares a community bathroom. Because these traditional residence hall rooms (standard rooms) support the development of strong community, they provide excellent opportunities for first-year students to develop many friendships on their floor and throughout the building. While every effort is made for first-year students to share a room with other first-year students, a small number of first-year students will sometimes share a room with a returning student. If two first-year students request each other as roommates, their request will usually be honored as long as both applications are received before the May 31 deadline.
Room assignments for first-year students are made in the order in which their original university deposits were processed by the Office of Admission. The Office of Admission provides Housing and Dining Services with the information concerning the date on which each incoming student deposit was processed.

Building and Room Preferences

We give our best effort in fulfilling each student’s individual housing preferences, but it is often difficult to accommodate everyone’s top choice due to the high demand for housing at Carnegie Mellon. The cost of attendance used in the calculation of a student’s eligibility for financial aid includes a housing allowance that is based on a standard double room rate. Students are still responsible for the full cost of their room rate even if it is higher than the standard double rate.

Roommate Matching Procedures

A number of factors are taken into account when we make roommate assignments: a preference for a special residential program, specific hall or room type, smoking status, and college and major. Also factored into the equation is personal information about how you intend to utilize your room (social or study purposes), how clean you intend to maintain your room and whether you consider yourself to be a “night” person or a “morning” person. Housing and Dining Services does not, and will not, discriminate in any way in regards to roommate matching. It is important for students to be honest when filling out the housing application as it will eliminate the potential for roommate conflicts.

Housing License Agreement

The Housing License Agreement is a binding document that states the terms and conditions of occupancy by which the student and the university intend to be legally bound including the dates of residence. The agreement is for two full terms, beginning with the fall semester. Housing and Dining Services advises students, parents and guardians to read the agreement thoroughly (a copy is available on our website, The submission of the Housing License Agreement is an on-line process for both first year and upperclass students. The Housing License Agreement is signed by electronic signature and authenticated by Andrew ID through the WebISO process.

Important Information About Temporary Housing

Because housing is in high demand at Carnegie Mellon, occupancy pressures may dictate that a limited number of first-year students spend anywhere from a few days to a few weeks in temporary housing. Once it is time to relocate to a permanent assignment, Housing and Dining Services will orchestrate and assist in the move.

Housing Charges

The housing room charge is billed in three separate amounts. After charging and crediting the housing reservation fee, the University bills students for the balance of their academic year housing charges in two separate amounts, one each semester.


Only under very limited circumstances can Housing License Agreements be cancelled. These reasons include marriage, verified departure from the university, study abroad, or moves to Greek housing as defined by Greek leases and approved by Housing and Dining Services staff. The only contract cancellation requests that will be considered, other than those mentioned, are those based on verifiable medical or psychological hardship. Students interested in pursuing a contract cancellation based on one of these hardships may obtain the appropriate form at the Housing and Dining Services office.


During the academic year, if a housing room payment should become refundable, the refund shall be recorded as a credit to the student’s account with the University. Refund amounts are calculated on a pro-rated basis for the days remaining in the contractual term after the student completes the entire withdrawal procedure, which includes completion of the Request for Cancellation form and returning the room key to the Office of Housing and Dining Services.

Other Living Arrangements

Students moving into a fraternity or sorority house or leaving university housing (except to participate in an academic program away from the Pittsburgh area) should be aware that their opportunities to move into Carnegie Mellon University housing in the future may be very limited. Students wishing to return to university housing join a wait list for spaces remaining after all returning residents, incoming first-year students and transfer students have been housed.

Community Housing

Housing and Dining Services provides an off-campus housing registry service. This on-line service maintains up-to-date information on available apartments, houses and rooms in private homes for rent, as well as on students who are looking for roommates. Additional information about moving to Pittsburgh, utility companies, etc. is included on the site.
Since accommodations in university housing are not available to graduate students, Community Housing Services is a good resource for graduate students seeking accommodations in the local area. For more information on our services, please visit our website at

Additional housing information can be found in “The Word”, “From the Ground Floor Up, the undergraduate guide to Housing and Dining Services” or at


Dining Services

At Carnegie Mellon Dining, our priorities are to give students healthy options, a convenient dining experience and, most importantly, good tasting, quality food. We currently feature over twenty eating locations in the University Center and in residential and academic buildings. Our cuisine ranges from Asian to Indian to American, from an All-you-care-to-eat location to breakfast served all day to a quick sandwich and drink on the go. We have established hours to meet the needs and requirements of the campus community, from early morning coffee to late night snacks. We are able to accommodate special dining needs and have a registered dietician and other food service professionals on campus that can work with individual students on nutrition and diet choices.

Dining Plans

We have designed our dining plans so that you can chose when, where and what you want to eat to best fit your needs. Your dining plan is encoded on your Carnegie Mellon ID card so that you have easy access to your account wherever you go.

There are several different ways to use your dining plan on campus. Our traditional dining plans and community dining plans consist of value meals combined with a declining balance account called flexible dollars. Students are also able to select a DineXtra only plan, which acts as a declining balance account for the entire semester.

Student who have purchased a traditional or community dining plan are able to use meal passes at any dining location. There are four meal periods per day - breakfast, lunch, dinner and late night. You can use one pass during each of these meal periods. The traditional plans also include two guest meals per semester which allow your guests to enjoy campus food with you, or you can use these meals if you would like to purchase two meals during one pass period. These guest meals can be redeemed at any time during the semester.

Flexible dollars and DineXtra are dollars that can be used at any point during the semester. They can be used to upgrade your meal passes with special options like Premium Entrees or to purchase items a la carte at any of our Dining locations. Flexible dollars and DineXtra can also be used at Entropy+, the campus convenience store, to purchase grocery items to supplement your daily meals. In addition to dining locations on campus, they are also accepted at Eat n' Park (Murray Ave), Vocelli's Pizza (Baum Blvd) and Subway (S. Craig St) off campus. Unused flexible dollars do not roll over to the next semester. DineXtra balances do roll over from the fall to the spring semester, but your account expires at the end of the spring semester.

Vending Services

Vending machines are located in a number of locations throughout campus. From this 24-hours service, students may chose entrees, “Healthy choice” lunch meats, soup, coffee, assorted beverages, and snacks. Many of the machines in the residence halls are enabled to accept DineXtra transactions, and most vending machines around campus also accept Plaid Ca$h. Purchases are made by swiping your Carnegie Mellon ID Card through the card reader on each machine, which will access and deduct the cost of the purchase from your DineXtra or Plaid Ca$h accounts.

Academic Support Services

Academic Development
Cyert Hall, Suite B5

Academic Development provides a variety of support services geared towards helping students develop the skills, strategies, and behaviors needed to perform as confident, independent, and active learners. These services range from study skills instruction in areas such as textbook reading and lecture note taking to tutoring and review sessions in selected courses. These services are free of charge and available to all Carnegie Mellon students - those who are having difficulties and those who just want to improve their skills.

Following are the services that Academic Development offers:

Peer Tutoring

Peer Tutoring is geared primarily, but not exclusively, toward large introductory courses. It is available from 8:30-11:00pm. Sunday-Thursday in various residence halls and on selected weekday afternoons in Cyert B5. This is a walk-in service, and no appointment is necessary. Standing Tutoring appointments are also available upon request.

Study Skills Instruction

Group workshops are held several times each semester, covering topics such as time management, stress management, test taking, and procrastination. Register for workshops or make individual appointments by contacting Academic Development.

Supplemental Instruction (SI)

Supplemental Instruction (SI) is an academic enrichment program that is offered in traditionally difficult courses. SI discussion and review sessions are facilitated by trained student SI Leaders who have already completed the course and received an A in it.

Designed to supplement - not replace - class lectures and recitations, SI sessions are interactive and collaborative. Students who attend sessions learn to integrate how to learn with what to learn.

SI sessions are usually held twice weekly for one hour; additional sessions are held prior to exams. Attendance at sessions is voluntary.

Study Groups

Organized Study Groups are available in selected courses each term. The Study Groups are limited to six students and are facilitated by a student leader. Come in to the Academic Development office in Cyert Hall, Suite B5 and fill out a Request Form to join a Study Group.

Fast Facts

These pamphlets, which offer tips on a variety of academic success issues, can be picked up from the Academic Development office or can be viewed on the website under “Publications”.

Freshmen Fast Facts

This set of five brochures is geared primarily toward freshmen. They cover topics such as working with faculty, optimizing your time, managing coursework and readings, understanding grades, academic integrity, and getting help when you need it.

Te­­acher Certification

Carnegie Mellon students interested in earning teacher certification can participate in a 5-year program that will allow them to earn their undergraduate degree at Carnegie Mellon and spend one year in an intensive Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program at Chatham University to earn the MAT and Pennsylvania Teacher Certification. To make this program possible, interested undergraduate students should plan to cross register at Chatham for 63 units of required courses, using elective spaces in their schedule. Students who will graduate after December 2012 will have slightly different requirements because of changes being made to more adequately meet the requirements of the No Child Left Behind law (mainly related to preparation to work with special education populations and students who speak English as a second language).

Criteria for admission or the MAT program includes: An overall GPA of 3.0, and completion of three pre-professional Praxis exams in Reading, Writing and Mathematics. All candidates for initial certification in Pennsylvania must have earned at least a baccalaureate degree, completed an approved program of teacher education, and passed The Praxis content tests for their certification area. NOTE: Pennsylvania has signed interstate agreements with more than 42 other states, so you are not restricted to teaching in Pennsylvania. Check with the Department of Education in the state where you will live to determine if PA certification will be accepted. To plan early, contact Judith Hallinen, Assistant Vice Provost for Educational Outreach, 8-1498.

Intercultural Communication Center

Peggy Allen Heidish, Director
Warner Hall 308, 412-268-4979

The Intercultural Communication Center (ICC) is a support service offering both credit and non-credit classes, workshops, and individual appointments designed to equip nonnative English speakers (international students as well as students who attended high school in the U.S.) with the skills needed to succeed in academic programs at Carnegie Mellon. In addition to developing academic literacy skills such as speaking, reading and writing, students can learn more about the culture and customs of the U.S. classroom. The center offers:

  • Writing Clinic: individual appointments to help students with their academic writing assignments
  • Credit class for undergraduates: Building Fluency for Presentations (7 week mini, 99-451); register through ICC, interview required
  • Non-credit Seminars and workshops: such as Citing Sources, Writing Academic Summaries and Revising for Clarity
  • Tutoring: individual appointments address specific areas such as speaking, listening, grammar, and academic fluency
  • Placement interviews: evaluate spoken language so that we can suggest appropriate ICC work and give students useful feedback on the strengths and weaknesses of their communication skills.
  • The ITA Test: a mandatory screening test for any non-native speaker of English (graduate or undergraduate) who plans to work as a teaching assistant.

Level of English fluency needed for non-Native English speakers - Please see Academic Regulations.


Fellowships and Scholarships Office (FSO)

Stephanie Wallach, Director

Students at Carnegie Mellon are encouraged to apply for a wide variety of national and international fellowships available throughout their undergraduate years and post graduation. These opportunities — some more competitive than others — open up a diverse range of experiences, exposing students to new scholarly communities, to different kinds of research, and/or to service in the public sector. Participation in scholarships, fellowships, and other award opportunities is often an important springboard to future career directions. Many people have heard about the Rhodes Scholarships, the Fulbright Grant and The Harry S. Truman Scholarship, yet there are hundreds of opportunities that may be less well-known but are excellent funding sources.

The Fellowships and Scholarships Office plays an important role in helping students learn about scholarships that are a good match for their interests. The FSO staff also work closely with students on their applications to make sure that they are as competitive as possible.

Please visit the FSO website to learn about the many scholarships and fellowships open to Carnegie Mellon students. The website also contains useful links to other resources for additional information on external educational opportunities.

Honor Societies

Phi Beta Kappa Society

Carnegie Mellon shelters a chapter of the Phi Beta Kappa Society, sponsored by the three colleges (Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences, Mellon College of Science, and the School of Computer Science) that comprise the University's “arts and sciences” equivalent. The chapter's name is “Upsilon of Pennsylvania,” and was formally installed in April of 1995.

Founded in 1776 at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Va., Phi Beta Kappa is the nation's oldest honorary society, with chapters at 276 of the foremost institutions of higher education across the country. Almost all members are elected by the chapters from among candidates for degrees in liberal arts and sciences, usually from the top 10% of the graduating class.

Many notable figures in American History have earned the coveted Phi Beta Kappa key including leaders of the American Revolution, delegates to the Constitutional Convention of 1788, and members of the Continental Congress and the U.S. Congress. Six United States presidents earned the honor as undergraduates and another 10 presidents were elected as alumni or honorary members.

Membership in Phi Beta Kappa key has become a universally recognized mark of academic achievement in the liberal arts and sciences. The key's venerable pointing finger proclaims for all to see the wearer's commitment to Phi Beta Kappa's ancient principles (represented in the three stars) — friendship, morality and learning.

The society's name is formed by the first letters of the phrase Philosophia Biou Kybernetes, Philosophy (wisdom) is the Guide of Life. In line with the conviction that the test of education lies not in what people know but in what they are, the objectives of humane learning encouraged by Phi Beta Kappa include not merely knowledge but also intellectual honesty and tolerance, a broad range of intellectual interests and understanding.

The Carnegie Mellon chapter is active in sponsoring visiting speakers, on-campus roundtables that focus on current issues, community service activities, scholarship opportunities, student research involvement, and the like.

The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi

The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi has been an important presence on campus since 1933. Phi Kappa Phi, a national honor society that began in 1897 at the University of Maine, takes its name from the initial letters of its adopted motto, Philosophia Krateito Photon, “Let the love of wisdom rule humanity.” Phi Kappa Phi recognizes and honors persons of good character who have excelled in scholarship, in all fields of study. Members are nominated by their department or their school or college and then invited to join the society. To be eligible, seniors must be in the top ten (10) percent of their class and juniors in the upper seven and one-half (7.5) percent of their class at the time of invitation. Graduate students, alumni, faculty and staff are also eligible for nomination. The chapter inducts new members once a year, each spring, and provides information to its members on all sorts of opportunities, including study abroad, internships, and graduate fellowships, recognition and awards.

Undergraduate Research Office 

Stephanie Wallach, Assistant Vice Provost for Education

What is the Undergraduate Research Office (URO) at Carnegie Mellon?

Conducting research as an undergraduate is a terrific way to get to know faculty members, explore an area of interest in depth, turn classroom theory into practical hands-on experience, get a feel for graduate school, and have some fun at the same time! The Undergraduate Research Office supports students conducting independent research and creative projects in every field at the university.

All undergraduates at Carnegie Mellon are eligible to participate in Undergraduate Research Office programs. The term “research” is defined broadly as “research, scholarly, or artistic activities that lead to the production of new knowledge; to increased problem solving capabilities, including design and analysis; to original critical or historical theory and interpretation; or to the production of art or artistic performance.” Students from all fields and at all levels are encouraged to participate in the research process at least once, and hopefully many times, in their undergraduate careers. Our website, contains detailed information on all of our programs and on the application

Advising and Information Services

The Director and Assistant Director of the Undergraduate Research Office are available to discuss project ideas; suggest possible faculty mentors (required); read and comment on proposal drafts; and generally facilitate the research process. In addition, the URO typically runs two proposal writing workshops each semester to assist students in preparing their proposals. Support from the URO is a competitive process and requires the students to submit strong proposals

Small Undergraduate Research Grants (SURG)

Undergraduates in good academic standing are eligible to apply for a Small Undergraduate Research Grant (SURG). Awards are made twice each year based on submitted project proposals. A panel of faculty and administrators from each of the colleges serves on the selection committee and will generally consider requests up to $500 for individual student projects or $1000 for a group project. Grants may be used to purchase supplies and materials, rent time on laboratory equipment, pay subjects in an experiment, or even travel to another city to collect data. Budgets are required as part of the SURG proposals. Deadlines are October for the Spring grant period and in March for the Summer and Fall grant periods.

Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF)

These fellowships are designed to allow students a 8–10 week summer of supported research at Carnegie Mellon in close collaboration with a faculty advisor. Students receive a fellowship of $3,500 as a stipend to cover any of their expenses. The deadline for submission of proposals coincides with the regular SURG deadline in March.

Undergraduate Research Symposium: Meeting of the Minds

The undergraduate research symposium, known as “Meeting of the Minds,” is an annual event that brings our campus together to celebrate the diverse, creative,and ground-breaking research that takes place among undergraduates. Students share their research findings through poster, oral, and artistic presentations. Many participate in award competitions sponsored by various corporations, individuals, and organizations. All students funded through the URO are required to attend, but it is also open to other students, including senior thesis presenters. Approximately 450 students participate each year. Meeting of the Minds takes place during early May at the University Center.

Presentation Awards

Students whose work has been accepted for presentation at an academic conference are eligible to apply for a Presentation Award. These awards, up to $250, help defray costs of conference registration, transportation, and accommodation.

SRC-URO Program

Second-year students in semiconductor research and information technology fields are eligible to join faculty labs — depending on the needs of the faculty and qualifications of the student — to get an early taste of the excitement and benefits of undergraduate research. The Semiconductor Research Corporation funds this program. Students can earn up to $2,000 per semester for the second semester of their sophomore year and for both semesters of their junior year; they are strongly encouraged to apply for SURF ($3500) for the summer between their sophomore and junior years. SRC-URO is open to students in the following fields: Electrical and Computer Engineering; Chemical Engineering; Mechanical Engineering; Materials Science and Engineering; Computer Science; and Physics. This is a competitive opportunity and the number of participants is very limited. A special application process is required and is available on the URO website.

University Center 

Carnegie Mellon's University Center is the first building of its kind on our campus. A central gathering place for all members of the university community, the University Center is the hub of Carnegie Mellon's social, athletic, recreational and religious life.

  • Play basketball, volleyball and badminton
  • Play racquetball or squash on one of five courts
  • Swim in the eight-lane lap pool or dive into the diving well
  • Work out on new weight machines, rowers, stair climbers, ellipticals, and treadmills
  • Take a group exercise class including yoga, indoor cycling, Pilates, and Zumba. Check the website for further information.

The locker rooms include showers, whirlpools, and steam rooms.

Eating at the University Center

We've brought in several outside vendors to offer a variety of dining options:

  • City Grill
  • Creperie
  • Downtown Deli
  • El Gallo de Oro
  • entropy+
  • Evgefstos
  • Pasta Villagio
  • Quik Piks
  • Schatz Dining Room
  • Skibo Coffeehouse
  • Spinning Salads
  • Take Comfort Too
  • The Pomegranate
Shopping at the University Center

Carnegie Mellon's retail stores are in the University Center. These include the Art Supply Store and the University Shoppe, a multi-level retail facility for art/engineering supplies and tools, books, textbooks, clothing, memorabilia and the computer store.

The building houses student organization offices, activity space and the Scotland Yard Game Room. The game room includes pool tables, foosball, ping pong and shuffle board. The building also includes the Student Activities staff offices, webstations and printer, a multi-denominational chapel, a prayer room, the University Post Office, a recycling room, FedEx Office, ATMs, PNC bank branch, the Career and Professional Develoment Center and an alumni lounge, which is open to all members of the university community.

University Police

Thomas Ogden, Chief
300 South Craig Street, Room 199
Public entrance on Filmore Place

The University Police Department consists of 24 sworn Police Officers, 37 Security Guards, and five Communications Dispatchers. University Police provides campus buildings and grounds patrol, emergency medical transport, personal escorts, and other services to increase the safety and well being of persons and property in the university community. Officers patrol the campus continuously 24 hours a day, seven days a week on foot, on bicycle and in vehicles and remain in constant radio contact so that they can respond rapidly in the event of an emergency. Direct line emergency telephones to the University Police communications center are located both inside and outside of buildings at 53 locations around the campus.

All crimes that occur on campus should be reported immediately to University Police to ensure that appropriate action is taken. Crime occurring on campus can be reported in person, or by calling the University Police emergency number, (412) 268-2323 or x8-2323, any time of the day or night. All other non-emergency inquiries should be made by calling the non-emergency number (412) 268-6232 or x86232.

University Police operates an Operation Campus Watch program to increase the awareness of the entire community at Carnegie Mellon. The concept of Operation Campus Watch includes two simple aims:

  1. The sharing of crime information by University Police.
  2. The involvement of the entire community in reporting suspicious activity or actual crime.

Additional information on Operation Campus Watch is available at the University Police Office located in Room 199, 300 South Craig Street or by calling the non-emergency number, (412) 268-6232.

All emergencies on campus, including fire and medical, should be reported immediately to University Police.

Students are responsible for their personal property as well as the property of groups to which they belong. Insurance against loss, theft, or damage to such property occurring in the residence hall or elsewhere on campus must be arranged for by students or their parents through an insurance agent.

University Police makes available on the world wide web a wide range of information about the university's security practices. Descriptions of crime prevention programs, alcohol and drug, sexual assault policies, and statistics about the number and type of crimes committed on campus during the preceding three years can be found at, click on “Annual Reports.”

University Libraries

Keith Webster, Dean of University Libraries
Hunt Library

Facilities and Services

The University Libraries’ collections support teaching and research at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU). The collections for various disciplines are housed in three libraries: the Engineering and Science Library (engineering, mathematics, physics, computer science and robotics), Hunt Library (humanities, fine arts, social sciences and business) and the Mellon Institute Library (chemistry and biology). An off-site storage facility holds low-circulating materials, which are available at your request via the library catalog. Interactive access to library resources is supported by the University Libraries’ home page at

Reference services help you to select resources and find the information you need. If you need materials that we do not own, interlibrary loan will help you to obtain them. Circulation services help you to borrow and renew materials, and use course reserves. Most course reserves are online, but some reserves are hard copies that faculty set aside in the library for their classes to use.

The University Libraries also house several unique collections (Architecture Archives, Fine and Rare Books, and the University Archives) in addition to a number of special collections that we have digitized and make available online. Digital collections include the H. John Heinz III Archives, the Allen Newell Collection, the Clifford Shull Collection, the Herbert Simon Collection, the Joseph Traub Collection, and the Posner Family Collection of fine and rare books. Student-created exhibits of fine and rare books from the Posner Collection are a regular feature in Posner Center, located between the College of Fine Arts and the Tepper School of Business.

Online Access

From the Libraries’ home page,

  • CAMEO library catalog – Use CAMEO to find out where materials are located in libraries on campus. See whether items are checked out, on reserve, or available to be borrowed.
  • My Library Account – Renew books, put books on hold, see a list of what you have checked out, see fines.
  • Course Reserves – Find required materials that your professors have reserved for classes to use.
  • Research Help – Learn about key resources in your subject area, including the CMU librarian who is a subject specialist for your school or college.
  • Ask Andy – Interactive reference service staffed by CMU librarians (chat, IM, email, phone, or in-person)
  • AND MUCH MORE: Library Collections – Articles & Databases – E-Journals A-Z – Library Catalogs – Library Services …

“Library Catalogs” links to online catalogs for the University of Pittsburgh Library System, The Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh, and other local libraries. We are partners with Pitt and The Carnegie; you can get library cards and borrow directly from these nearby libraries.

Instruction and Help – Live!

Get acquainted with the collections and services that support your school and subject area. Take advantage of library orientations and other library instruction classes that will help you become adept at using information resources. Being able to select good sources, access information efficiently, and evaluate results are skills that you will use throughout your academic and professional career.
Reference desks at the Engineering and Science Library, Hunt Library, Mellon Institute Library and in Arts and Special Collections (at Hunt Library) are staffed weekdays, evenings, and on weekends. Besides helping you in the library, reference staff also can answer your questions about remote access (using library resources such as databases and e-journals from any internet location).
If you need specialized reference help, contact the librarian for your subject area. Librarians work directly with faculty and students in each school, department and institute at CMU to help shape library collections, teach library research skills, and assist efficient research.

Undergraduate Jobs

The University Libraries hire many undergraduate students each year, primarily through state and federal work/study programs. Working part-time in the library gives you the unique opportunity to learn and practice skills that will contribute to academic success while you earn some spending money. If this sounds interesting to you, check out About Us > Employment> Student Assistants at and apply.