- The name of the research advisor (an SCS faculty member)
- A short abstract (two paragraphs, max)
- A description of the problem to be worked on and its significance
- A tactical description of the proposed research plan, including:
- a description of the background reading to be carried out,
- a description of the research contribution,
- a description of the expected results of the research, and
- a reasonably detailed timeline for the thesis work
- A bibliography of related work (all references belong here)
- The signature of the research advisor, signifying endorsement of the project and willingness to supervise and evaluate it
Students who need help finding potential advisors should get in touch with the Associate Dean or Assistant Dean for Undergraduate Education. Applications to the program are due by the end of the semester prior to the start of the thesis, typically the end of the Junior Spring semester.
Students successfully completing this thesis will earn SCS College Honors and can compete for various SCS research awards given out during commencement.