2015-2016 Undergraduate Catalog
This catalog is intended to detail the University’s academic programs, policies and services for use by current undergraduate students, faculty, and administrators. We appreciate that applicants, prospective students, and many other people will read this material, as well, for some understanding of University programs and culture.
Information in the catalog is current as of August 2015; the next Catalog will be published in August 2016. In the interim, new courses will be announced in the course schedules which are usually available in November and April and on the Web (www.cmu.edu/hub).
The program requirements and academic policies set forth in this Catalog are subject to change. As a consequence, students are expected to consult with their individual college or department for the most up-to-date information about program requirements, and should consult the University’s policy website for the most current statements of University policy.
Any changes or updated information from any member of the campus community should be directed to John Papinchak, University Registrar.
Michael C. Murphy
Vice President for Campus Affairs
Jonathan D. Samuels, Assistant Registrar for Records & Undergraduate Catalog Editor
John R. Papinchak, University Registrar
Published August 24, 2015
Statement of Assurance
Carnegie Mellon University does not discriminate in admission, employment, or administration of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, handicap or disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, ancestry, belief, veteran status, or genetic information. Furthermore, Carnegie Mellon University does not discriminate and is required not to discriminate in violation of federal, state, or local laws or executive orders.
Inquiries concerning the application of and compliance with this statement should be directed to the Vice President for Campus Affairs, Carnegie Mellon University, 5000 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, telephone 412-268-2056.
Obtain general information about Carnegie Mellon University by calling 412-268-2000.
- Catalog Contents
- Look at Carnegie Mellon
- Degrees Offered
- Campus-Wide Services and Options
- Undergraduate Admission
- Summer Opportunities
- Division of Enrollment Services
- University Policies
- Undergraduate Academic Regulations
- University Services
- Undergraduate Options
- Department of Athletics and Physical Education
- Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC)
- Intercollege Programs
- BXA Intercollege Degree Programs
- Carnegie Institute of Technology
- Undergraduate Designated Minors
- CIT Minors for Non-Engineering Students
- Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Department of Engineering and Public Policy
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Materials Science and Engineering
- College of Fine Arts
- H. John Heinz III College
- Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Dietrich College Interdepartmental Majors
- Dietrich College Interdepartmental Minors
- Undergraduate Economics Program
- Department of English
- Department of History
- The Major in Information Systems
- Department of Modern Languages
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Psychology
- Department of Social and Decision Sciences
- Department of Statistics
- Mellon College of Science
- School of Computer Science
- Tepper School of Business
- Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar
- Frequently Asked Questions