Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Dr. Wanda Heading-Grant, Vice Provost for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Chief Diversity Officer
The Office of the Vice Provost for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Chief Diversity Officer serves a critical role to the university to enact real and lasting changes through long-range planning and implementation of initiatives that advance diversity, equity and inclusion. The office coordinates with each of the university’s academic and administrative units to oversee their five-year strategic DEI plans and college-based commitments.
By working in close concert with colleagues throughout the university, the office strives to enact real and lasting changes in how CMU addresses racism, classism, sexism and the language of othering as it exists across our campus community. The office seeks to do this through:
- Developing a unifying strategic vision for DEI
- Guiding the university in crafting and implementing an overarching DEI strategic plan
- Establishing and maintaining a culture of assessment and evaluation in relation to DEI
- Expanding pathways for assessing, understanding and improving the campus climate
- Developing strategies for addressing recruitment and retention challenges impacting campus diversity
- Serving as ambassadors for the university and its commitment to DEI externally in Pittsburgh and beyond
Learn more at www.cmu.edu/dei-office.