This is an archived copy of the 2011-2012 Catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

Division of Enrollment Services

The Division of Enrollment Services includes five administrative departments: The HUB, University Registrar's Office, Student Financial Aid, Student Accounts Office and Campus Affairs Systems. The division leads and delivers integrated administrative services that support students' academic goals from enrollment through graduation. At the same time, the staff strives to champion collaborative administrative services and counsel for all CMU campuses and programs in alignment with the university's strengths in technology and effectiveness.


2011–2012 Cost of Attendance

The budgets depicted below reference a typical Resident, Commuter or Off-Campus Student. The university reserves the right to change its charges without notice.

The academic year tuition charges are for all full-time undergraduate students. A full-time student is one registered in a degree program and carrying a schedule of at least 36 units per semester. A student enrolled for less than 36 units per semester will be charged tuition on a per-unit basis.

Note: All incoming freshmen are required to live on campus. Permission to live off-campus must be granted by Student Affairs.


The commuter dining amount is based upon 14 meals per two weeks.

2   Off-Campus room rate is resident room minus $500.

3   These expenses will not appear on your Student Account Invoice.

4   Transportation for resident and off-campus students varies based on home state.


NOTE: In addition, minimal health insurance coverage is required at an estimated cost of $1,043/year, unless a waiver is granted because you are covered under your family's health plan. Enhanced health insurance coverage is suggested for international students at an estimated cost of $2,231/year. Complete information about the university's Health Insurance Policy and options, as well as the waiver requirements, is available at



Office: Warner Hall A12, 5000 Forbes Avenue Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890
Phone: (412) 268-8186
Fax: (412) 268-8084

The HUB staff delivers comprehensive service and counsel to students and families regarding financial aid, billing and payment, registration, academic records, and ID Card services. In direct support of student enrollment and persistence, The HUB offers students and families highly integrated information through personal attention and technologically responsive tools in a professional, forward-thinking, and accessible environment.

The Assistant Directors in The HUB serve as contacts for specific colleges and assist enrolled students with key aspects of the enrollment process – financial aid, billing and registration. Contact information for assigned HUB Assistant Directors can be found on The HUB website. Assistant Directors can be contacted for specialized enrollment questions.

For general questions and information, please e-mail or call (412) 268-8186 during regular office hours: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. or Tuesday and Thursday between 10:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. 


University Registrar's Office

John Papinchak ,  University Registrar
Fax: (412) 268-6651

The University Registrar's Office (URO) performs the essential roles of administering the collection and maintenance of student records, ensuring their accuracy and integrity, and enforcing academic policies while providing the best possible services. The URO aspires to provide exceptional, environmentally-conscious services, while anticipating and meeting growing customer requirements with innovative processes, training and self service applications. The office strives to foster and promote an environment of professional development and appreciation.

The University Registrar's Office produces a complete calendar of important dates and deadlines for the academic year, which can be found on the HUB website,


Undergraduate Enrollment

Enrollment is the process whereby eligible students notify Enrollment Services that they will be attending the university by registering for courses and settling their student accounts. Enrollment must be completed before students may begin classes and before they may utilize university facilities.

Complete information about the enrollment process, as well as registration and payment deadlines, are listed on the Official Academic Calendar, located on The HUB Website,



Registration is the process of selecting courses for the upcoming semester and discussing those selections with an academic advisor. We strongly encourage you to meet with your academic advisor before you finalize your selections and register for courses using On-Line Registration (OLR).

For most entering freshmen, registration is accomplished during the summer,with the assistance of Associate Deans and department heads. Academic placement and elective choice information is collected by mail questionnaires during June and July. Most freshmen receive their schedules and enrollment information prior to the first day of classes.

Currently enrolled students select their courses for the upcoming semester during Registration Week, prior to the end of each semester. The Schedule of Classes is available on-line prior to Registration Week, listing available courses along with general enrollment information. The university reserves the right to make changes to hours, units or instructional staff when such changes seem necessary or advisable. A link to the on-line Schedule of Classes is provided on The HUB website. Although faculty advisors are provided, it is the responsibility of students to have clearly in mind what they intend to do, what elective courses they wish to pursue and what irregularities exist which may affect their present schedule.

Students are not permitted to register in courses for which the prerequisites have not been satisfied. Exceptions to the rule may be granted only upon the recommendation of the teaching department concerned. Unless the prerequisites are satisfied or special approval is obtained when the student enters the course, no credit can be allowed for the course.

Tuition Assessment

The tuition charged each student will be automatically adjusted on the 10th regularly scheduled class day (refer to the specific date noted in Official University Calendar as the “last day to add courses”) based upon each student's schedule at that time. The tuition charged will be increased whenever the number of units added justifies tuition charges greater than those paid by the student at the time of fee settlement. After that time, no tuition adjustments will be made, with the exception of second minis for that particular semester.

For additional information, see University Policies.


PCHE Cross-Registration

Cross-College and University Registration Guidelines - PCHE (Pittsburgh Council on Higher Education)

Cross-registration provides opportunities for enriched educational programs by permitting full-time paying undergraduate and graduate students to cross register for one course at a Pittsburgh Council on Higher Education (PCHE) Institution. Students who are paying full-time Carnegie Mellon tuition (per the requirements of their home college) are eligible. The PCHE course may not count towards full-time status. There is no additional tuition charge, except for special course or laboratory fees. Carnegie Mellon students do not acquire status at the Host Institution, but are given library and bookstore privileges. Credit and grades are transferred directly to the home institution. Cross-registration is not applicable during the Summer Session(s) or during intersessions.

For more information, visit


Faculty Course Evaluations (FCEs)

Students play an integral role in the academic life of the university when they participate in the evaluation of the faculty through the Faculty Course Evaluation process. FCE data is important in the evaluation of teaching and learning, as an important piece of the promotion and tenure process and as part of the process of course design and improvement. Student participation in the FCE process is critical to the university's commitment to quality teaching and academic excellence. Students are strongly encouraged to participate in the process with constructive feedback that is relevant to teaching and course content. More information on the University Course Assessment process and results from previous years can be found at the FCE website.



Student Financial Aid

Linda Anderson , Director of Student Financial Aid

In alignment with the university's enrollment goals, Student Financial Aid consistently optimizes the utilization of all financial aid resources in order to recruit and retain a high quality and diverse student population. Student Financial Aid strives to deliver superior services that exceed the expectations of students, parents, and internal and external constituencies. Student Financial Aid identifies, creates and delivers strategies that facilitate the integration of financial aid policies. These policies align with current and future university recruitment, retention and enrollment priorities.


How Aid Works

Our financial aid program is need-based, meaning that all aid eligibility is determined by a student's family's financial circumstances. While a student and his/her parents have the primary responsibility for paying for college, financial aid can bridge the gap between the total costs and the family's ability to pay.

We use a standard method to carefully review a family's financial circumstances and establish an expected contribution from the student and parents. If we determine that the family cannot meet the student budget based on that calculated amount, we will award or recommend scholarships, grants or other resources.

For more information, visit


Applying for Financial Aid

Complete steps for applying for financial aid can be found at

Types of Financial Assistance Available

There are several types of financial aid available to students, such as the following:

  • Federal and Private Loans
  • University Scholarships
  • Outside Scholarships
  • Federal and State Grants
  • Student Employment

A full listing of these, as well as more information on each type, is available at


Financial Aid Policies

University Academic Scholarship Renewals

Carnegie Mellon University awards academic scholarships as part of the freshman financial aid process. Each of these scholarships is renewable for four academic years of study (five for architecture) based upon the maintenance of a 2.0 cumulative quality point average. The academic scholarship renewal criteria are included in the scholarship notification letter which is mailed to the student prior to the May 1 matriculation deadline.

Each scholarship recipient's cumulative quality point average is reviewed at the end of each academic year. If the student achieves the scholarship renewal criteria, then the scholarship is automatically renewed for the next academic year.

If the student does not meet the cumulative quality point average requirement for renewal, then s/he is given the opportunity to appeal. A merit scholarship appeal form and instructions are automatically sent to the student at the end of each academic year.

The student's completed appeal form is reviewed by members of the Enrollment Services staff. Input from the Associate Dean of the student's college is also considered. The student is notified, in writing, of the decision. The decision may be to renew the scholarship for the entire academic year, renew the scholarship for one academic term, or to reject the appeal. If the appeal is rejected, a written explanation is provided to the student.


Satisfactory Academic Progress

The Department of Education requires recipients of Federal Title IV Financial Assistance to meet academic progress standards each year. Federal Title IV Financial Assistance includes the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Work-Study, Federal Direct Student Loan and Federal Direct PLUS Loan Programs. Each university determines its own policy regarding sufficient progress standards. Federal academic progress standards must include two elements: cumulative QPA and cumulative units. At Carnegie Mellon, we define this as follows: first-year freshman students must pass 80 percent of all cumulative units attempted at Carnegie Mellon and have a 1.75 cumulative QPA after the first year, all other students (excluding graduate students in the Tepper School of Business and Heinz) must pass 80 percent of all cumulative units attempted at Carnegie Mellon and have a 2.00 cumulative QPA.


Outside Scholarships

If you receive outside scholarships, they will be used to meet your unmet financial need and where applicable, offset/reduce loans and workstudy.

Institutional grants and scholarships will not be reduced due to the receipt of outside scholarships unless one of the following conditions occur:

  1. If you receive federal grants or loans, these funds, in combination with any outside scholarships, cannot exceed your financial need.
  2. All outside scholarships, in combination with all aid received, cannot exceed your cost of attendance.

Outside scholarships are not from federal, state or institutional (school) sources, such as a Federal Pell Grant or FSEOG. Examples of outside scholarships are: Coca Cola, Gates Millennium, Rotary scholarships, etc.


Students Pursuing a Second Bachelor's Degree

If you are enrolling in a second bachelor's degree program, you are not eligible for grants/scholarships. However, you may be eligible to receive funds from student loan and student employment programs. Eligibility for student loan funds is contingent upon the student's prior loan indebtedness.


Study Abroad

There are three ways to pay for study abroad at Carnegie Mellon: exchange programs (departmental or university-wide), sponsored study abroad, and external programs.

Undergraduate Tuition Exchange Programs

Carnegie Mellon University assesses the standard tuition charge for the undergraduate tuition exchange programs.

Since Carnegie Mellon assesses the tuition charge, the student can be considered for all forms of institutional, state, and federal aid for which the student may have eligibility with the exception of any student employment program.

Undergraduate Study Abroad Programs

Carnegie Mellon University does not assess the tuition charge for any of the Study Abroad Programs.

Since Carnegie Mellon does not assess the tuition charge, the student is not considered for any institutional grants and scholarships. However, Carnegie Mellon will consider any student participating in an approved Study Abroad Program for all state and federal student aid programs for which the student may have eligibility with the exception of any student employment program.

The U.S. Department of Education and Carnegie Mellon University define an approved Study Abroad Program as one which is part of a contractual agreement between Carnegie Mellon and the host institution. Additionally, courses taken in the Study Abroad Program must be accepted for transfer to Carnegie Mellon by the Dean of the student's college.

Undergraduate Sponsored Study Abroad Programs

Carnegie Mellon assesses full tuition charges and all applicable fees to students participating in an undergraduate sponsored study abroad program.


Undergraduate International Students

Documentation Eligibility (U.S. Citizenship or Eligible Noncitizen)

You must be a U.S. Citizen or Eligible Noncitizen to receive federal student aid. If you are a U.S. Citizen, but were not born in the United States, please send us documentation of your citizenship (e.g., a copy of your passport or naturaization certificate). If you are an Eligible Noncitizen or refugee, send us verification. Acceptible forms of verification include a photocopy of both sides of your I-551 or I-551C card.

Undergraduate international students are ineligible to receive any federal or state student financial aid. Additionally, Carnegie Mellon does not award any institutional financial aid funds to undergraduate international students.



Student Accounts Office

Brian Hill ,  Director of Student Accounts

The Student Accounts Office serves the university's various academic and administrative departments by processing and invoicing all student-related financial activity and managing the corresponding student financial obligations resulting from this activity. The office strives to serve students by accurately reflecting and communicating these financial obligations, providing timely and consistent responses to inquiries, and instilling financial responsibility and accountability with clear and concise guidance.

Billing Information

University Charges

All charges incurred at the university are reflected on your student account. Charges include tuition and fees and may include housing, dining, sorority or fraternity charges, health insurance, Plaid Ca$h, DineXtra and any miscellaneous charges incurred. Miscellaneous charges may include, but are not limited to, music lessons, library fines, parking fines, or emergency loans.

Student Account Invoices (E-Bills)

Student account invoices (E-Bills) are produced on the last day of each month. Invoices detail all transactions processed in the month, as well as any charges due in the future. Students receive an e-mail notification from the Student Accounts Office when a new E-Bill is ready for viewing on Student Information Online. Payments for amounts due from a monthly E-Bill must be received by the 15th of the next calendar month.

All student account invoices are available to view, print, or download through Student Information Online (SIO). Students can log onto Student Information Online with their Andrew ID and password.

Billing Authorizations

Students can also authorize Carnegie Mellon to send a copy of their E-Bill to another individual (parent, spouse, etc.) or other individual bill payer's e-mail address. After completing the authorization process, designated recipients will receive an e-mail with a PDF attachment of the E-Bill and any related billing messages.

Penalty Charges

Any amounts not paid by the stated due date are subject to a 1.5% penalty charge until the balance is paid in full.


Payment Options

Electronic Payments (E-Check)

The Student Accounts Office encourages you to take advantage of this convenient way to pay your student account. Electronic payments can be made online by registering a U.S. checking or savings account on Student Information Online. Payments can be scheduled up to 6 months in advance and can be modified at any point before the requested payment date. This is the fastest, easiest, and most convenient way to make a payment to or receive a refund from the university. Best of all, this option is offered free of charge.

Check Payments via Mail:

When paying by check, please write your name and Andrew ID on the memo line of the check and include the bottom portion of page 1 of your most recent invoice.

Make checks payable to Carnegie Mellon University and send to our processing agency:

Carnegie Mellon
P.O. Box 360224
Pittsburgh, PA 15251-6224

Note: Do not include any additional correspondence with your payment. These payments are processed by a third party and will not be received by the Student Accounts Office.


Wire Transfer Payments

When making a wire transfer payment be sure to include the student's full name and invoice number on the transfer. Wire payments to Carnegie Mellon can be initiated through most banks. The following information is required when sending a wire transfer payment:

Bank of New York Mellon
500 Ross Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15262

Account Name: Carnegie Mellon University
Routing Number: 043-000-261
Account Number: 197-9003
Reference: Student Name and Andrew ID

Foreign wire transfers take longer to process. Please allow sufficient time to avoid late payment fees.

If you call The HUB to inquire about receipt of funds, you must have the following information available at the time of your call. You may also need to provide additional details of the wire transfer.

  • Reference Number
  • Amount sent
  • Student Name
  • Date Sent (on the receipt)



Tuition Payment Plan

The Carnegie Mellon Tuition Payment Plan gives students the ability to pay amounts due to the University in convenient monthly installments. There are many benefits to this plan, to include life insurance. These benefits are paid for by a low annual enrollment fee. A semester option with a lower enrollment fee is available for students who graduate in December or who begin in the spring semester. Families who renew a payment plan for a subsequent academic year have the option of paying over 12 months rather than the standard 10 months.

The plan allows families the convenience to enroll and pay online. If a monthly payment plan is set up with TMS, contracted amounts will be credited to the appropriate semester invoice so the student's bill reflects any additional amount due. Families have the flexibility of reducing or increasing their payment plan if a balance is due to the university or if there is a credit on the student's account.


Benefits of the Carnegie Mellon Tuition Payment Plan include:

  • Life Insurance coverage for the bill payer's account
  • Toll-free telephone service during extended personal service hours at 888-251-3533
  • BorrowSmart counseling with friendly and professional Education Payment Counselors
  • A wide variety of payment methods, including personal checks, money orders, credit cards, Western Union by wire or check, and automated payments from a checking or savings account
  • 24-hour access to account information at
  • 24-hour access to account information on a toll-free InfoLine

Enrolling in a payment plan may help to reduce the amount that students and their families borrow. TMS offers BorrowSmart planning and counseling at 888-251-3533 from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. weekdays, and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturdays.

Sponsor Checks & Scholarhip Checks

Payments made by sponsors and/or scholarship agencies must be sent directly to the Student Accounts Office:

Student Accounts Office
Carnegie Mellon University
Warner Hall A19
5000 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA  15213-3890



If a student account has a negative balance resulting from an overpayment, financial aid, or a reduction of charges, the Student Accounts Office will review the account and issue a refund. If you have a negative balance and do not want a refund to be generated, please contact The HUB so they can update your account.

Electronic Refunds

The Student Accounts Office encourages all students to authorize electronic deposit of their student account refunds directly into their U.S. checking or savings accounts. Taking advantage of this opportunity elminates the need to stand in lineat The HUB to pick up a refund check and makes the funds available to the student within two business days. To enroll, students simply need to add a bank account on Student Information Online.

Paper Checks

If you have not signed up to receive electronic refunds, your refund will be generated as a paper check that must be picked up in The HUB. Students who are issued a paper check for a student account refund have six months to cash the check. If the check is not cashed within six months, it will be voided and credited back to the student account and applied to any outstanding charges.



ID Card Services

Office: The HUB, Warner Hall, 5000 Forbes Avenue Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890
Phone: (412) 268-5224
Fax: (412) 268-8084

One of the most important items you will need at Carnegie Mellon is your official identification card. Your ID Card identifies you as a member of the Carnegie Mellon community. Your ID Card will be part of your everyday life on campus and is used to access the following:


  • University Housing Residence Halls
  • Computing Services & Computer Clusters/Labs
  • University Libraries
  • Local Port Authority Transit (bus, incline, etc.)
  • Dining Services Meal Plans
  • Computer Store
  • University Center Retail Shops
  • Athletic Facilities

For a full list of services that can be accessed using the ID Card, visit



Plaid Ca$h


One beneficial feature of your ID Card is Plaid Ca$h. Plaid Ca$h is a prepaid, stored-value/debit account that is accessible via your ID Card. It is a convenient, cashless way to pay on and off campus. You can use Plaid Ca$h for textbooks, school supplies and laundry. Many of the area's most popular businesses accept Plaid Ca$h; it can be used to pay for restaurant meals, take-out, delivery and more. View a list of participating businesses at

Student Advantage

A four-year Student Advantage membership can be added to your ID Card. With Student Advantage, you can receive discounts of up to 50% off at more than 20,000 locations nationwide. Learn how to add Student Advantage at